2.11.2011

HMS Excellent - Gunnery School - May 3, 1958 to November 10, 1958

The navy is going to send me to Gunnery School, at Whale Island in Portsmouth, to become a Quarters Armourer 2nd Class (qualified).



There was a lot of classroom instruction regarding taking guns to pieces and reassembling them - with no bits left over, hopefully. I do remember they had a new 3-inch gun that we got to play with (not fire). But seeing it was so new, not many of us would ever be on a ship that would have one.

A future shipmate of mine had a good story to tell about Whale Island. In one of his classes he was goofing off a bit and finally the Gunnery Instructor whose patience had been sorely tried, told him to go an get a shell (approx. weight 30 lbs.) from a classroom about a hundred yards away. Nick dutifully returned with said shell. The G.I. was now going to play a game - so he said to him "That one's no good. I want another one." This went on for about an hour and Nick hadn't even broken a sweat yet. The G.I., being a reasonably bright man figured something was up, went outside the classroom door and, lo and behold (Nick also being a bright boy) had brought back a whole cart-load of these shells. He then waited the appropriate time and took the next shell in. Needless to say, the G.I. was not impressed with Nick's ingenuity and made him trot around Whale Island a couple of times. Some people just have no sense of humour...

There was a certain amount of marching and parade ground performances - which was never one of my favourite things to do. Always figured if I wanted to learn how to march, I'd've joined the Army.

So, now being a qualified Q.A.2, the navy decided what to do with me next and I was sent back to Devonport on Reserve Fleet, HMS Orion. Usually, Reserve Fleet was a holding station for other drafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers